Fwd: SC - kegs and barrels

Par Leijonhufvud parlei at ki.se
Tue Nov 4 19:56:52 PST 1997

- --part0_878668992_boundary

On Tue, 4 Nov 1997, Varju wrote:

> As to whether or not brewers pitch is period I am not sure.  I have
> been looking for it to use to seal the interior of leather bottles and
> mugs.  I do know it is made from natural pine tar.

FWIIW an old CA (leatherwork II, can't recall the number) indicated that
pitch was period as a waterproofing of leather vessels. I have made a
couple of water-bottles using pitch, and they give the water a flavour
reminicent of old time sailing ships. Most leather bottles that I've seen
that others have made have been waterproofed with beeswax.

/UlfR

- --
Par Leijonhufvud                  par.leijonhufvud at labtek.ki.se
Tum pultus sicissentem ur ne lus sem ittibus profugnatreius.

- --part0_878668992_boundary--