SC - Re: Sour Cream

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Nov 5 06:40:24 PST 1997

Woeller D wrote:

> P.S. still haven't figured out, from all of the replies on the sour
> cream string, if it, or what can be gotten in stores, is anywhere near
> period.

The Official Answer is "We don't know." The apparent real answer is,
probably not, unless you are of Russian or Polish or other Eastern
European persona, and perhaps not even then. But it hasn't been ruled
out, either.

What we call sour cream is really smetana, a Russian preparation that
probably became widely known in Europe only after the Crimean War, with
an extra boost when a lot of Russian aristocrats moved to France after
the Russian Revolution. How long smetana has been eaten in Russia, I
have no idea.

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com