SC - Mortrewes

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Nov 5 07:09:39 PST 1997

Ragnar Ketilsson wrote:
> A possibly OOP suggestion - this sounds a lot like some of the grain/meat mushes
> my Appalachian relatives make.
> They are a way to use scrap meat and organ meats, and do not have near the flavor
> if made from 'good' cuts.  They are made up stiff, usually in bread pans, and then
>  sliced and fried until one side is very crisp.  If you have ever had scrapple, think
> of buckwheat scrapple with chunkier meat.
>
> Anyhow, I suspect a dish like this would be better received sliced and browned rather
> than served in a lump.

Most heartily agreed! I had thought of scrapple, too, but I have never
actually made it myself, while I have made haggis, so I thought it would
be better to speak from experience. But, that's cheating. I'd just as
soon see what I can do to make it edible, while still coloring within
the lines (my new cliche about following recipes...like it?)

I thought trying to stress the resemblance to the filling of a white
pudding might be the way to do that. Of course, this could well be one
of those dishes where leftovers are fried up the next day, and vastly
improved.

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com