SC - Re: Sour Cream

Woeller D alaric05 at erols.com
Wed Nov 5 11:58:15 PST 1997

Philip & Susan Troy wrote:

> Woeller D wrote:
>
> > P.S. still haven't figured out, from all of the replies on the sour
> > cream string, if it, or what can be gotten in stores, is anywhere near
> > period.
>
> The Official Answer is "We don't know." The apparent real answer is,
> probably not, unless you are of Russian or Polish or other Eastern
> European persona, and perhaps not even then. But it hasn't been ruled
> out, either.
>
> What we call sour cream is really smetana, a Russian preparation that
> probably became widely known in Europe only after the Crimean War, with
> an extra boost when a lot of Russian aristocrats moved to France after
> the Russian Revolution. How long smetana has been eaten in Russia, I
> have no idea.
>
> Adamantius
Thanks much.  So neither 'modern' cream cheese, nor sour cream would be
a period inclusion for smearing over bread in my basket feasts.  Do I
dare ask if the caviar (yes, it's the cheap stuff, but I love the salty
taste) I dole over the top of that is period?  Anyone want to suggest
some yummy AND period AND unusual (like not butter, or a period cream
cheese) stuff to smear on bread.  And it helps if it is something that
keeps well. Helps even more if you have a recipe.
Hugs and pinches.
Angelique
"Too much is not Enough"