SC - Re: sca-cooks V1 #421

L Herr-Gelatt and J R Gelatt liontamr at ptd.net
Wed Nov 5 19:01:35 PST 1997

Adamantius extolled:
>>Normally the very idea of a standing pottage makes me want to spew; I
>>think in this case the thing to do is make it as Double Mortrews, which
>>should end up resembling the filling of some of the French white
>>puddings, and not too far from what haggis is supposed to be, either.
>>
>>Adamantius
>

>A possibly OOP suggestion - this sounds a lot like some of the grain/meat
mushes
>my Appalachian relatives make.
>They are a way to use scrap meat and organ meats, and do not have near the
flavor
>if made from 'good' cuts.  They are made up stiff, usually in bread pans,
and then
> sliced and fried until one side is very crisp.  If you have ever had
scrapple, think
>of buckwheat scrapple with chunkier meat.
>
>Anyhow, I suspect a dish like this would be better received sliced and
browned rather
>than served in a lump.
>
>Ragnar

Well, they both make me want to spew. And Ragnar, that Brotchan Foltchep we
made last Sunday was a waste of good leeks. And me an Irishwoman, too. At
leat now I know why I hated it----it's a race memory of day-old mortrews!
The corned beef,  cabbage with boiled bacon (no tatties), however, worked
like a charm. Devoured instantly by the ravening hordes. Even the ones who
"don't like corned beef". And you said they wouldn't eat cabbage!

Aoife