SC - Re: Candied Ginger

DianaFiona at aol.com DianaFiona at aol.com
Thu Nov 6 08:48:16 PST 1997

<<
       Actually, the ones I've had (comfits) were made with fennel seeds, not
  anise, which are a bit larger, and would I think, be a triffle easier to
  handle. I keep meaning to make some........... Be a great tidbit to end a
  feast with if you could take the time to make enough.

   Ldy Diana >>

 Are they candied seperately, or as more of a "brittle"?  I am having trouble
 visualizing these things.

 Tyrca
     Separately. At the local Indian restaurant they have a bowl of
candied--and colored! ;-)--fennel seeds by the cash register. They look to me
like the sugar coating was mixed with egg white or something else frothy
(Perhaps one of the gums, disolved and beaten?) and they were rolled in that.
My problem is figuring out how to separate the tiny things afterwards without
dislodging the coating............
     I'm pretty sure I've seen similar references in late period, but haven't
had time to check. Anyone know where to look off the top of their heads?

Ldy Diana