SC - Re: Candied Ginger

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Nov 6 08:08:54 PST 1997

DianaFiona at aol.com wrote:
>      Separately. At the local Indian restaurant they have a bowl of
> candied--and colored! ;-)--fennel seeds by the cash register. They look to me
> like the sugar coating was mixed with egg white or something else frothy
> (Perhaps one of the gums, disolved and beaten?) and they were rolled in that.

Probably one of the gums, and I wouldn't be at all surprised to find
carnauba wax in them, these days. Textural differences notwithstanding,
they look and, to some extent, taste, like tiny Good-n-Plenty candy...

> My problem is figuring out how to separate the tiny things afterwards without
> dislodging the coating............
>      I'm pretty sure I've seen similar references in late period, but haven't
> had time to check. Anyone know where to look off the top of their heads?

Harleian MS 2378, which can be found in the "Goud Kokery" volume of
"Curye on Inglysche", has a recipe for anneys in counfyte. It's kind of
long; I may have time to post it later.

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com