SC - cleaning horns

Woeller D alaric05 at erols.com
Thu Nov 6 18:24:26 PST 1997

Charles McCN wrote:

> Having done about 30 of them I think I have a pretty good method...
>
> Take 'em off the cow.
> Put them in boiling water for ten minutes to get rid of any big hangons.
> Leave them outside over summer. Make sure they can't get water sitting
> inside (i.e. pointy end up)
> Polish the outside with a knife blade, then a bottle or lump of glass
>
> Fill with cider and leave for a while, then drink out of it.

Thanks for the tips.
When you say 'fill with cider, are you suggesting what my first drink
out of the horn should be, or is the cider there to form some reaction?
Is this hard cider or just fresh?  Are you sealing the inside in any
steps other than those mentionned?
Your input is much appreciated, Angelique.