SC - Cooking AROUND Court

L Herr-Gelatt and J R Gelatt liontamr at ptd.net
Fri Nov 7 05:19:53 PST 1997

>>It's my plan that we stuff them so full of good food we'll
>>have to
>>roll them out for Baronial court, and then roll 'em back in again when
>>court
>>starts dragging on past the Dinner Hour! It's a plan. It COULD
>>work........
>>
>>Toodles!
>>
>>Aoife
>
>Court drag on past the Dinner HOur in a former East Kingdom Kingdom?
>Never!!!!
>
>What do you think about putting large fans blowing aromas from the
>kitchen directly at the thrones? Do you think that would end court any
>sooner?
>
>I've got people bugging me to do a RP event,..... convince me that it will be
>okay. I need to make a decision soon. Not that I can find a site that we
>can afford....
>
>Julleran

Well, my first ploy is to send my schedule directly to the crowns involved.
They can then see when court is supposed to be and when the feast is
supposed to be. Theoretically, they can then tell you if they think court
business can take place in that time frame.

Additionally, have a runner check with their Majesties just before the
tourney ends (or right before court), to see if it started on time.

Next, I like to plan a first remove that is either mostly cold food (salad,
bread/butters/ quiche), or is easily "held" (mac and cheese, soup/stew,
etc...). I save the labor intensive stuff for later in the feast. This way,
you have some "fudge time" built right into the feast, and essentially
you're prepared to slap the entire first remove on the table at once, saving
all that serving time and complaints about where the food is (they'll be
starving by the time court runs over AND the feast is served dish-by-dish).
I also go with family style serving in this scenario.

There ARE things one can do. You'd be surprised.  Just plan on having a
flexible first remove. BTW, by sending my schedule to the Crown, they had a
good idea of my needs. At 1st Crown last summer, the East King had a
messenger who came to tell me exactly when THEY wanted the feast served,
(ie: how late they thought it would be). With lots of creative footwork, and
a flexible schedule (and professional warmers) the last dish was served on
time, even though the first dish went out 1 1/2 hours late(I had a generous
2 hours planned for the feast, *knowing* full well that that would be eaten
into by a late court). The first remove was fancy but cold. But you can do
that in June. WE stuck to our schedule. The 1st remove was ready to serve
sitting in the cooler, and the servers just walked in, took a dish, took off
the plastic wrap, and took the dish to the table, came back for another.....

HTH

Aoife