SC - green bacon??

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Nov 7 04:54:51 PST 1997

Mark Harris wrote:

> Aoife commented:
> > I'll get some real green bacon, unsliced if we
> > do the dish at Investiture. This time we used the leanest el-cheapo bacon we
> > could find, and it worked out fairly well.
>
> Huh? Pray tell, what is this *green bacon*?

Usually dry-cured pork belly (for American or "streaky" bacon) or
boneless loin (for "back" or "Canadian" bacon), that has not been
smoked. Often a bit of sugar is added to the dry rub of salt and
saltpeter. Sometimes a brine is used instead of a dry rub, but that's
more likely to be referred to as "corned" or "pickled" instead of
"green".

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com