SC - Re: Peanuts, Sweet Potatoes, Etc.

Elise Fleming alysk at ix.netcom.com
Fri Nov 7 13:00:22 PST 1997

Ras wrote:

>It is now accepted theory that sweet potatos, peanut and hot peppers
>were introduced to Africa at least 2 centuries before their arrival in
>Europe. These introductions were most likely made via the Polynisians
>who traded with the tribes in Ecuador spreading them to Malaysia and
>then from there they were introduced into Africa.

Query:  "Accepted theory" by whom?  Where cited?
Query:  "At least 2 centuries before their arrival in Europe"  What
date would that make it?  The 1500s or earlier?

I would (personally) lay my money on Sophie Coe who is a recognized
food historian.  Coe (re my earlier post which didn't get to the digest
before this was posted) believes that the peanut got to Africa from
Brazil via western man and slave trade.  From Africa it went to what is
now the US.  I can look up what she says about the sweet potato route
and post it later if conversation warrants, but I seriously doubt,
based on her recent book _America's First Cuisines_, that the sweet
potato or peanut went to Africa via Asia.

Alys K.