SC - Re: Candied Cinnamon

Elise Fleming alysk at ix.netcom.com
Sat Nov 8 09:41:44 PST 1997

Stefan li Rous wrote:

>Can someone quote me the period recipe and perhaps a redaction for
>doing candied cinnamon? While a referance to a period recipe would
>be good, I don't have many of the books often quoted here, yet. Has
>anyone tried this?

I haven't seen any recipes for it.  That may be due to the fact that
most cooks didn't prepare any comfits.  The confectioners did.  They
were a different group of people.  There is a French confectionary book
somewhere but to my knowledge it is in French.  I would guess that if
you could find instructions on doing the "harder" (in the sense of not
being soft) seeds you might be able to "fake" it.  As I mentioned
earlier, I read a reference to soaking the cubebs in vinegar and then
another time saw a reference to soaking them in wine.  My impression
was that this was a several-day process.  The paintings that I have
seen show a white, bumpy coating on the comfit which would be the sugar
coating the outside.

Wouldn't you guess that somehow the stick or piece of bark needed to be
softened for eventual chewing???

Alys K.