SC - Re- Candied Cinnamon

Mark Harris mark_harris at risc.sps.mot.com
Sun Nov 9 00:25:54 PST 1997

Alys K. answered me when I asked for any recipes for candied cinnamon:

> Wouldn't you guess that somehow the stick or piece of bark needed to be
> softened for eventual chewing???

Not necessarily. The seeds you mention are small, but quite hard. the
cinnamon stick is larger, but somewhat crumbly, but as Adamantius mentions
splinters. I keep imagining getting cinnamon splinters caught between my
teeth. But I can imagine chewing on the cinnamon stick even without the
candying. Sort of wierd, but I can remember making cinnamon toothpicks
using cinnamon oil years ago and this might be similar in texture.

The mere soaking of the cinnamon bark in sugar water may alter the texture
of the bark.

If I understand things correctly, the comfits are mostly balls of sugar
enclosing some seeds or spices whereas the candied citrus peels are more
of a thin coating of sugar enclosing a sugar-saturated peel. I'm not sure
which is appropriate for cinnamon sticks although I am leaning toward the
citrus peel version. This is why I would like to find a period recipe
rather than just guessing from secondary reports.

Sigh. At least Adamantius and Cariadoc had a recipe to argue over.

Stefan li Rous
mark_harris at email.sps.mot.com