SC - length of feasts... (can't remember the re: )

kat kat at kagan.com
Fri Nov 14 11:26:15 PST 1997

Adamantius notes, in response to the Middlebridge long-feasts post:

>  I am told, for example, that in the Outlands it is fairly (oops, I was
> gonna say "reasonably") common for four or five courses to be served,
> each with one dish. Here in the East you generally find two or three
> courses, with three or four dishes per course, served in quantities that
> the average human can choke down in the space of perhaps two and a half
> hours. Sometimes the cooks are able to keep people dazzled and in their
> seats for that amount of time, and sometimes people get restless after
> an hour or so. This is partly a function of things like entertainment,
> the quality of the food, toasts, etc.

Interesting... VERY interesting...

Here in the West (OK, here in the Mists, to be specific); it seems to be standard practice to do the following:

1)	Open feast hall.  Bread, appetizers (usually) on tables.  Get seated;
	lots of visiting.  People wondering when the food will be served.

2)	First course (yes, we still call them the "R" word) is announced,
	then served, usually late..  Consists of 3-5 dishes, served one at a time.

3)	First course is cleared away.  Entertainment/Court ensues.  People go
	outside to visit, chat, smoke, flirt, etc.

4)	Second "R" word is announced, served.  3-5 dishes.

5)	Second course cleared away.  Entertainment/Court ensues.  People
	stagger away from the table to visit, smoke, bid on silent-auction or
	live-auction items.

6)	Third "R" word is announced, served.  (sometimes there's a fourth as
	well). People  remark, "My god, MORE food?"  At some point the
	kitchen crew is hauled out, introduced and applauded.  A subtlety
	might be brought in; or some desserty stuff put out on a sideboard.

7)	Schedule will call for dancing; but everyone will clear their dishes, b.s.
	for a while and then go home instead.  The kitchen crew will end up
	doing the majority of the cleaning.

Interesting concept, having single-dish courses...  I wonder if that's ever been tried out here.  Of course, around here we have (I think) a higher percentage of people who are aware of their food allergies/sensitivities, or are vege/vegan, so maybe that wouldn't work...

Any other different styles of feast out there?  Man, I wish I could afford to travel...

	- kat (whose mind is NOT on her work today!)