SC - yeast bread recipes

Mark Harris mark_harris at risc.sps.mot.com
Wed Nov 19 13:40:49 PST 1997

Lady Morwenna asks:

>Anyway ...(big deep breath) is there anyone with a GOOD yeast bread
>recipe.  I have a wonderful Russian Round Bread recipe, but I am not
>quite sure how "period" it is.  Thanks!

This mail list has been a rich source for period, probably period and
period-like bread recipes. You can find a number of these recipes in
this file in the FOOD section of Stefan's Florilegium:
beans-msg         (34K) 10/24/97    Medieval, old-world beans. Recipes.

These two on yeasts might also be of interest:
BNYeast-art       (14K)  4/24/97    "A Brief Note on Yeast" by Katerine Rountre.
yeasts-msg        (18K)  4/30/97    Medieval use of yeast. Using it in the CMA.

There were some good comments here recently on using ale and beer yeast cultures
in breads, but I haven't added these to the yeasts-msg file, yet. If there is an
interest, I will do so.

My files can be found at:
http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/rialto/rialto.html

Please post your Russian Round Bread recipe. Perhaps we can see whether it
resembles known medieval breads or not. Even if not, I'm sure some folks
would be interested in seeing it.

Stefan li Rous
RSVE60 at email.sps.mot.com