SC - green beans

Mark Harris rsve60 at email.sps.mot.com
Wed Nov 19 10:28:00 PST 1997

I said:

<< Pineapple, I can see. They are sweet which was craved. They are
 unusual which makes them ideal for gardens of exotics.

 Same goes for peppers and perhaps for Turkeys. They fill a percieved
 need.

 But green beans?>>

And Lord Ras replied:

>Such a dual purpose food which had the advantage of looking very similar to
>an already known product, favas, would not have had the problem of exceptance
>that such foods as tomatoes or potatoes would have (and did).

But do favas and green beans look alike? I thought favas were big, tan colored
things similar to lima beans. In that case, I don't think they look like or
would be substituted for fava beans. But I may not be right on what fava beans
look like and will look for some.

The only green beans I know have seeds a bit smaller than green peas and are
encased in a little green sack or tube, fresh, canned or frozen. If this is
the immature seed, are the more mature seeds sold today? Perhaps under a
different name?

If they do look similar then yes, I agree. Either way, the evidence that you
point to of them being used may override this appearance argument anyway.

Thank you for this useful info.

Stefan li Rous
RSVE60 at email.sps.mot.com