SC - Feast Budgets

Kathleen M Everitt kathe1 at juno.com
Sat Nov 22 07:18:54 PST 1997

On Fri, 21 Nov 1997 09:57:30 +1100 (EST) Charles McCN
<charlesn at sunrise.srl.rmit.edu.au> writes:
>Translating prices is probably difficult but...
>
>As I have said, our feasts usually _ARE_ the main part of the event. I
>
>figure on having AUD$300-$500 to feed from 40 - 150 people. Out of
>that,
>a deer would cost $100, a goat about $30, a lb of mushrooms about
>$2-$3,
>a cabbage about $1, a 12" pizza home delivered with a bottle of Coke
>about
>$18 and a big mac $2.60

Woa! No wonder you get so much to feed people! Here, I get a deer free
(brother's a game commissioner), never even thought about buying a goat,
don't do fungus(personal thing), depends on the time of year for cabbage,
but I can usually get 2 cabbages for $1 and don't do Big Macs, either.
But a 12" pizza runs about $7.99 and a 2 leter bottle of Coke is $.79!

>(The minimum wage here is about $9.90/hr, and unemployment benefit is
>about $150/wk)

Minimum wage just went up - I think to about $5.50/hr., but I've never
collected unemployment, so I have no idea what that is.

>Charles

Living in a number of Kingdoms, I'm surprised at how the prices of food
vary. If I remember, produce was really cheap in Ansteorra and I could
buy beef directly from a rancher really cheap. Staples (flour, sugar,
etc.) and spices were really cheap in Atlantia and bread. Beef and
especially pork were cheaper in Aethelmearc than here. Chicken's cheaper
here than any of the places I've lived. Of course, it all depends on
where you buy it!
Julleran