SC - ESTURGON CONTREFAIT DE VEEL From Le Menagier de Paris, p. 200

Robert Beaulieu robert.beaulieu at sympatico.ca
Sat Nov 22 12:11:38 PST 1997

Cindy Renfrow wrote:

> >From Le Menagier de Paris, p. 200:
> ESTURGON CONTREFAIT DE VEEL pour six escuelles.  Prenez le soir devant, ou
> le bien matin, six testes de veel sans escorcher, et les plumez en eaue
> chaude comme un cochon, et les cuisiez en vin, et mettez une chopine de
> vinaigre et du sel dedans, et faites boulir tant qu'il soit tout pourry de
> cuire; puis laissiez les testes refroidier et ostez les os.  Puis prenez un
> quartier de bonne grosse toile, et mettez tout dedans, c'est assavoir l'une
> sur l'autre en la mendre place que vous pourrez, puis cousez de bon fort
> fil, comme un oreillier quarré, puis le mettez entre deux belles ais et le
> chargiez très fort, et laissiez la nuit en la cave; et puis le tailliez par
> lesches, la couenne dehors comme venoison, et mettez du percil et du
> vinaigre, et ne mettez que deux lesches en chascun plat.  Item, qui ne
> trouveroit assez testes, l'en le peut faire d'un vele entrepelé.
>
> Lord Robert, can you translate this last one for us?

> Cindy/Sincgiefu
> renfrow at skylands.net
> http://www.alcasoft.com/renfrow/

	Sure
	Here it is ( but keep in mind I am no cook and I am not a translator ),
I will indicate the words that I do not know (I do not have time to
recherch at this point but it is likely that you all cooks know what
htey are, if so please repost corrected for the ones that would not, if
not I will gladely do the reacherch later.):

			ESTURGON CONTREFAIT DE VEEL pour six escuelles

		 CUNTEFIT STURGEON OF VEEL??? (VEAL?) for six plates
(???fake sturgeon???)

	The night before or early in the morning take 6 veal ??(veel) heads
without skining??? (escorcher) and in hot water, like a pig, take the
feathers off (plumez) (likely referring to taking the hairs off since
veals like pigs have no feathers , at least not up in Quebec LOL) cook
them in wine and add a pint of vinegar and salt in it, boil till it is
al roten in copper (tout pourry de cuivre)(probally falling apart like
rothen meat, the copper part surely refers to the color be it
bronw/golden like shined copper  or green like oxidise copper beats me)
then let the heads cool donw and take the bones out. Then take a quarter
of heavy cavas, put  it all in as much as you can , then sew it with
tough treads like a sqware pillow, then put it between 2 "ais" (these
are bords used in a press) and press hard and leave it (in press?) for
the night in the basement (cool?); then cut it in "lesches" (thin
layers), "la couenne (couenne is a pork skin) dehors comme venoison
(game)" )leaving the skin around on the outside like games), add parsley
and vinegar and pour 2 pieces on each dish (plates).
Option: if you do not find enough heads, you (peut faire) can use???
(make???) a "vele entrpelé"???  ( sorry I do not know what could this
be, a guess  would be the "abbats" (gutting? (liver, heart, kidney) or
the "lost" part (left overs or "soup" parts, basically lower quality
parts).

		In service,

			Lord Robert de QuelQuepart

P.S.: I did not forget I commited myself for some translations uf Le
Ménagier