SC - Refrigeration

Charles McCN charlesn at sunrise.srl.rmit.edu.au
Sat Nov 22 19:13:21 PST 1997

Personally, I find the only thing that doesn't keep until tomorrow
unrefrigerated is oysters. (Assuming hot weather...) Oh, and fresh bread.
But you can always bake more tomorrow. Next is probably milk, which has
about a day or two shelf life. Chicken and fish about the same. Pork is a
bit better, and beef and lamb are several days better (ditto goat, deer,
etc.) Cheese, smoked fish, etc seem to keep happily for a week or so
(except your delicate ash chevres and the like). And real, thick cream
keeps better than light thickened (in Australia this means with vegetable
gum and gelatine) cream. Like butter, except it is not prone to actually
melting and running away, since it is in a plastic tub not a piece of paper.

There is a diffrence between what I'd hapily eat and what I'd serve
though. I am  not going to sue me if I get poisoned. But refrigeration is
a bit like anti-bacterial kitchen cleanser. A good idea and all, but
people have lived without it until very recently. So maybe it is not
actually essential to the survival of the species.

Camping makes a good self-selector. If you tell people they have to use a
hole in the groud for a toilet, and sleep in a tent, you are likely to
not have some of the people most likely to have a problem with your food.
(Just make sure you get people who DO belive in washing their hands...)

My sticky-beak wife is hanging over the screnn. Oh, now I can see again.

And if you happen to have a walk-in coolrooon site, it makes sense to put
everythingh in it...

Charles McCN = ragnar, since I just noticed a post by another charles in
NSW. Wow, $2000 for one feast. My wedding cost half that, and ran to 30
dishes for 100 people...