SC - contrefait - contrefact

Woeller D alaric05 at erols.com
Mon Nov 24 09:57:47 PST 1997

Charles McCN wrote:

> >       Agreed!!!
> >       Now what about the origin of "contre"?
> >               Lord Robert de QuelQuePart
> >       P. S.: I assure you that it means conter (oc or look alike).
>
> Off the top of my head:
>
>   contre (fr) = contra (L) = counter (Eng) as in counter-measure,
> contretemps. An exact meaning is a bit tricky to pin down, especially in
> this context. It has a meaning of exchange, or against something. The
> sense of the whole word is similar to substitute.
>
> Charles = ragnar

Contre can be translated as 'against', fait as 'fact'. Contrefait is
'against the fact', or counterfit. In other words 'mock'. Hope this
helps, and isn't redundant to prior messages.  Translating is an
innacurate business at best, as nuance, connotation and associaton are
assumed within an original language, and don't always cross over.
Hugs & Pinches
Angelique
P.S. My degree is in languages & Journalism/PR/Communication. I studied
mostly French & Spanish, but have studied or been exposed to a little
bit of many other languages (Latin, Italian, German, Russian, Polish
common dialect, some Arabic forms). I don't use any of them oftem, and
am horribly rusty, but if anyone ever needs help, I would help, if I
can. No PROMISES as to my accuracy, mind you, just that I will try my
best.