Unit alert! (was: SC - Long-Period food, bread, etc.)

Mon Nov 24 08:14:25 PST 1997

>you can buy the 1 lb bag of yeast at many wholesale 'clubs' like
>costco/price club, or bj's. also some cooking equipment catalogues like
>'the cooks catalogue' sell it in bulk, along with 10 fold vanilla
>extract and other hard to get goodies.

I tend to buy 2 lb bags through a bakery supply store or 1/2 lb bags
from a nearby health food store.  Either way, 1 lb of yeast costs less
than the 4 oz. jar from the grocery.  I also buy most of my spices and
some of my flour in bulk through the health food store and leave that
grocery store markup to others.

>i use about 1/2 tbsp for 3 loaves. no real recipe, i use a flintstones
>mug  of lukewarm water, add the yeast, a tsp of honey or sugar,
>whichever is handier at the time, and start adding flour and mixing
>until the consistancy is right, knead till it feels right, make the
>boule or pop it in a greased pan and let rise, pop in the oven abd bake
>till it sounds hollow when i thump it. i have baked bread on a daily
>basis for many years[unless the job doesnt permit] so now it is done on
>auto pilot.

I also do basic bread and pizza dough this way.

A friend of mine in Sapulpa, much to my delight, produced what is
essentially a loaf of manchet in a similar manner.

>[and to tease others, i can do puff pastry almost as brainlessly;-)]
>margali

Now that is really wicked.  I'm envious.

Bear