SC - Re: sca-cooks V1 #454

L Herr-Gelatt and J R Gelatt liontamr at ptd.net
Fri Nov 28 15:54:26 PST 1997

                             skillets.

>Naval jelly often does good at removing rust. As it is a caustic, you
>will want to make sure it is removed before cooking in the pot. But since
>if you don't remove it, it will continue to eat your pot you will
>want to do a good job of removing it anyway.
>
>Stefan li Rous

Stefan, I love you, you know I do. Ordinarily, I take your advice right to
heart. However, in this instance I think it's off base a little.

Naval Jelly is poisonous. Keep it away from anything that will ever contain
food. Not to mention, if you do not immediately treat your pot after using
the Naval jelly, it will rust all-over in about 24-48 hours! I kid you not.

Instead, do this: get some fine grade steel wool. Get some Pam(olive oil Pam
for purists;). Spray the interior of the pot thickly with the pam. Scrub
like the dickens.Wipe with paper towel. Scrub more if needed, lubricating
with Pam as needed. When finished, Rinse out the inside well (no soap).
Spray with the olive oil again, inside and out. Set in a low oven for 2
hours, to season the pot and seal it from rust. In the future, do not use
soap or detergent on the pot, and when you wash it, set it on a burner on
low for a few minutes to dry. Then re-season in the oven. No more rust will
darken your pots again!

Aoife