SC - Contents questions

Dottie Elliott macdj at onr.com
Wed Oct 1 10:46:29 PDT 1997

On Wed, 1 Oct 1997 LrdRas at aol.com wrote:

> I noticed several references to cooking FOR an audience, crowds, local folks,
> etc. It may help in understanding my thinking to realize that I do NOT cook
> for any of the above. I cook specifically for myself and invite others
> (albeit 200 others) to join me for dinner. I do not consider myself an object
> of attention when cooking a feast.
>
> It's merely another way of looking at things. I make dinner and just happen
> to have enough to share with 200 guests who dropped by. :-)

Hmmmm,  I've always had the exact opposite thinking when I plan a feast,
that the feast was to be used to accentuate the event and that you should
leave your own personal preferences aside and cook that which would be
most appropriate for the event.  I'm cooking to make others happy, not
myself.  Heck, everytime I've cooked a feast, I've eaten from the
leftovers.  When I cook for myself, I wouldn't go through the trouble.

At one point, I was told that "a good feastocrat always has one dish on
the menu that they won't eat, so that people won't think that you are
trying to push your tastes on them."  I thought that it was a little
extreme, but it has helped me in planning feasts.  For one, it causes me
to keep thinking about what others might not eat.  And secondly, it forces
me to experiment with foods that I wouldn't normally learn how to cook (I
live alone and usually cook only for myself).

Kael