SC - poison was - bay leaves

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Oct 1 18:07:56 PDT 1997

Rousseaua at aol.com wrote:

> We test recipes in small batches, ie 6-8 servings, and then bulk them up for
> 160 or so at the banquet. Often, spices don't multiply out correctly. As a
> general rule, I suggest that people start with 1/2 the bulked out amount, let
> it cook for a bit then adjust as needed. I, as kitchen head, am always the
> final word on when something is spiced correctly.

> --Anne-Marie

I haven't had the problem with spices such as you describe. If I am
doing the seasoning personally, then I can be on top of it as it
evolves, but more often if it is someone else, I can say, "You're
probably going to need about X amount, but you can adjust that to your
own taste." As I say, I haven't had any problems.

On the other hand, one potential source of problems for spice use in
bulk is that recipes often call for spices in volume measurement (i.e.
teaspoons, etc.) rather than weight. Let's assume, say, that you have to
multiply 2 teaspoons times 24. 48 teaspoons is 16 tablespoons or one
cup. People have been known to take an eight-ounce tin of pepper and add
the whole thing, figuring a cup is eight ounces, and not realizing that
pepper (or flour, or any of a number of other things) is only about half
as dense as water, and that a cup of pepper weighs more like three and a
half to four ounces.

Just a guess!

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy