SC - Re: sca-cooks V1 #321

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Wed Oct 1 20:18:00 PDT 1997

On Tue, 30 Sep 1997 08:26:58 -0400 Philip & Susan Troy <troy at asan.com>
writes:
>Kathleen M Everitt wrote:
>>
>> What are grains of Muske?
>
>Musk is any of various animal sex-attractant, pheromonal secretions.
>They were, in perod, and are, now, very common in perfumes. They used
>be taken and processed from glands of the musk deer or several other
>mammals. Essentially they were used to add an exotic perfume to foods.

And where would I get some of this? Or is there a modern substitute? On
second thought, maybe I'll just leave it out. :-D

>> How about gum Dragagant? I've seen it spelled several different
>ways. The
>> Sweet Celebrations catalog has a "gum paste mix" listed. Would this
>be
>> similar? It sounds like it's used for the same things.
>
>Gum tragacanth is the standard spelling today. It's a tree resin that
>originally comes, I believe, from Persia. It is used to add structural
>strength to sugar pastes. While other gums and gum pastes will do this
>too, we have no real way of knowing if they are a really good
>substitute
>for gum tragacanth without trying them. On the other hand, gum
>tragacanth is pretty readily available by mail order, if you have the
>right catalogue. I just bought some at the NY Cake and Baking Center,
>56
>West 22nd Street, New York, NY 10010, (212) 675-CAKE. I paid $10 for 4
>ounces, which I gather is an okay, but not terrific, price.

Do they have a catalogue? Sweet Celebrations has Gum Tragacanth of $7.99
for 1 oz. I like your price better.

 I figure
>I'm
>compensated by the fact that I was in the neighborhood, so there was
>no
>wait and no shipping charge.
>
>> I've been reading old cookbooks, again. :-) Our conversations about
>> period candy have me in the mood to try some of these things.
>
>Mahvelous! Would you happen to have run across a recipe for hippocras
>powder dragees?

No, sorry.

 Kinda like those little cinnamon drops, but made with
>powdered hippocras spices.

Sounds interesting. Could you post the recipe if you find it?

 I have a pound or so of the spice mix, as
>described in Le Menagier de Paris, and want to use it up before it
>becomes stale. There may be a recipe in Chiquart; I expect to lay
>hands
>upon a copy over the weekend, so we'll see.

Thanks for the information.

>Adamantius

Julleran