SC - Modern Myths-period

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Oct 1 21:55:17 PDT 1997

Aine of Wyvernwood wrote:

> my lord have you ever made pot roast out of a pork roast?
> it is quite tasty,  the next day the roast is so tender it cuts with a butter
> knife.
> the gravy served over rice is a delight.  It is a dish I gew up eating and shall
>
> be making at an event that our household has just put a bid on.

Noble Lady, I have.

Very nice indeed!

Just out of curiosity, what cut of pork would you normally use for this?
Some people might claim that the loin would be wasted cooked in this
way, but I have done it and it is lovely. I have probably had my best
results with shoulder butt / blade roast / Boston butt (sorry, Tibor ;
)  ) Fresh ham would probably be great, too.

I suspect that the secret to any of these cuts, but especially the loin,
is not to remove the meat from the braising liquid while it is still
really hot.

For some reason I can't explain, the idea of a generous dollop of
caraway seed and the grated rind of a lemon seems to cry out to be added
to this dish...

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com