SC - Spices and sensitive palates (and other

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Oct 2 06:04:02 PDT 1997

>On the other hand, one potential source of problems for spice use in
>bulk is that recipes often call for spices in volume measurement (i.e.
>teaspoons, etc.) rather than weight. Let's assume, say, that you have to
>multiply 2 teaspoons times 24. 48 teaspoons is 16 tablespoons or one
>cup. People have been known to take an eight-ounce tin of pepper and add
>the whole thing, figuring a cup is eight ounces, and not realizing that
>pepper (or flour, or any of a number of other things) is only about half
>as dense as water, and that a cup of pepper weighs more like three and a
>half to four ounces.
>
>Just a guess!
>
>Adamantius
>______________________________________
>Phil & Susan Troy
>troy at asan.com

And how many don't taste what they are cooking as they add the spices?

Usually, I don't get enough spices in and have to work my way up by
taste, on the theory that I can always add, but I can't remove.  There
was, however, the curry spiced frumenty with apples.  I'd made the
mistake of using old spices for the test and new spices for the feast.
It tasted fine, but the spicing accumulated in the apples.  Instant fire
food.

Bear