SC - Noemi's recipe challenge

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Oct 2 17:56:01 PDT 1997

Hello!  The reference you asked about is "Rose Recipes from Olden Times" by
E. S. Rohde, rpt. Dover Publ., Inc, New York, 1973.  I'm pretty sure it's
still in print.  The tart of rose hips is on p. 75:

"To Make a Tart of Hips
Take hips, cut them and take out the seeds very clean, then wash them and
season them with sugar, cinnamon and ginger, close the tart, bake it scrape
on sugar and serve it in.  From The Art and Mystery of Cookery Approved by
the Fifty-five Years Experience and Industry of Robert May 1671."

Other recipes include Marmalade, Jam, conserve of rose hips, and sauce
eglantine.  Most of the other recipes are for petals, not hips.

Hope this helps!

Cindy/Sincgiefu
renfrow at skylands.net
http://www.alcasoft.com/renfrow/

>Hallo folks!
>
>I tried this on rec.food.historic, but no one had any ideas except tea and
>modern jelly for me.
>
>I have a large number of wild rose hips growing, and I'd like to harvest
>them and do something.I've been bitten by that "preserve for the winter"
>bug. Someone once lent me a source that had "A Tarte of Hyppes" in it, but I
>can't track it down now. Do any of you have any other ideas? This sounds
>like a Ras or Esko question, but other answers are good, too.

<snip>