SC - Re- pickles

Mark Harris mark_harris at risc.sps.mot.com
Thu Oct 2 23:11:49 PDT 1997

Good Salamanderers!

I recently procured this recipe from a franciscan list I subscribe to
who claim it to be Francis' favorite cookie.  My problem is that the
sender had a photocopy of a photocopy of some page out of some book.
The ingredients are most certainly on target, especially if substitute
breadcrumbs for the flour.  Alas, no documentation can I find.  I've
seen recipes similar (the many gingerbreads we have discussed here, for
example) and see this one as in line.  We are looking at about 1120-1150
or so as a general time frame in Umbria, central Italy, near the recent,
tragic earthquakes. (prayers requested from those of that disposition).

My question is whether anyone has seen this recipe or one with the same
title.  In lieu, would there be suggestion as to how to make it a
'period' presentation?  Would inferencial documentation be adequate?
How much and how close should I come?  My personna is a fransican layman
and I REALLY need this recipe to be useful in our setting.  (sure it'll
be good at home, too)  Any help would be appreciated as I pour over my
tomes and shuttle to the local University book repository for dust mites
and divine intervention on this quest. :o)

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Francis' Favorite Cookie

1 pound blanched almonds
1/2 cup honey
1 tsp cinnamon OR 1 tsp vanilla (OOP)
2 egg whites, lightly beaten
approx. one cup flour

Chop almonds very fine or coarsely grind in a blender.  In a bowl
combine the nuts,
honey, cinnamon, and egg whites.  Mix thoroughly.  Gradually stir in
enough flour
to form a thick paste.

On a lightly floured surface, knead the paste until smooth and stiff.
Roll out to
1/4" thick.  Cut into diamond shapes about 2 1/2" long.  Place on
lightly buttered
and floured baking sheet and let dry 1 to 2 hours.

Bake 250F oven for 20 to 30 minutes until set.  Do not let brown.

niccolo difrancesco