SC - Pork Loin Recipe (period-ish)

Maddie Teller-Kook meadhbh at io.com
Fri Oct 3 04:07:05 PDT 1997

On Thu, 2 Oct 1997, L Herr-Gelatt and J R Gelatt wrote:

> It's my sneaky way of getting vitamin c to my cold-ravaged kids. It was 28
> degrees in my front yard this morning, here in the

If you dry the rosehips the vitamin C is (AFAIK) all gone. I think
freezing might be a way to store them and preserve the vitamins C. I have
been told that if you leave the hips on the bushes the vitamin C is
retained to a rather large extent.

I don't have a recipie handy, but a Swedish favourite is rose hip soup.
Generally done from powders today (either to be boiled or instant), but
IIRC it is possible to make from scratch. The goal is a smooth sweetish
red soup, a bit like a very thin puree (not watery). If I was going to
wing it I would place fresh fruit (deseeded) in some boiling water [1],
simmer for some unknown time and either press through a coleander or use a
food processor. No idea of proportions or cooking times.

Try it warm or chilled, (in the latter case) it is nice with some sour
cream (just add a dollop in each plate).

/UlfR

[1] I have been informed that if you heat it up from cold it will be
deactivated/broken down by enzymes present in the fruit, while all enzymes
are inactivated by the heat if you start from boiling water. This is the
case also for such things as pine needle teas (3 dl needles -- preferably
chopped -- to 5 dl boiling water, let simmer for 20 min).

- --
Par Leijonhufvud                  par.leijonhufvud at labtek.ki.se
<HR><H3>Transfer interrupted!</H3>