SC - Buried Foods (was - Composte)

Michael Macchione ghesmiz at UDel.Edu
Fri Oct 3 10:31:13 PDT 1997

On Thu, 2 Oct 1997 LrdRas at aol.com wrote:

> What ever works for you. :-) I like everything and if I haven't tried it,
> I'll usually cook it for that reason alone. Perhaps it would be advantageous
> to read over my past rantings on the subject of feasts so you would have a
> clearer idea as to "jhow" this works for me. :-) As far as preparing
> something that I wouldn't eat myself > a certain eel and fish custard type
> pie comes to mind. :-0 Realistically tho', do you truly belive that a good
> cook would foist things that he /she himself wouldn't eat (not can't eat) on
> others? Since the secret of great cooking is tasting , tasting, and tasting
> some more, I find the whole concept a bit ludicrous and bizaare.

Well, I wouldn't consider it foisting off, but yes.  I agree that tasting
a recipe is usually necessary to getting a recipe "right" but I don't feel
like I need to be the one to taste it.  Personally, I will eat almost
anything, which is one of the reasons that I always get a second opinion
before I serve something.  Just because I'll eat it doesn't mean that
anyone else will.  I've been to feasts where I was the only person who
would eat a particular dish.  Everyone else thought that it had too much
of a particular spice, I thought it was just right.  If I were the one
cooking, I would then keep track of two recipes for that dish, one for me
and one for others.

There are a few foods that I won't eat for various reasons.  For
example, I can only eat a small amounts of Swiss cheese or chick peas;
large amounts leave a foul taste in my mouth and extreme amounts will make
me sick to my stomach.  Thus I tend to avoid them, even in the small
quantities that I could eat.  I would still cook those for other people, I
would just get someone else to taste them.

For a vastly different reason, I won't eat venison or veal, mainly because
of the treatment of the animals.  But a few years back, I was cooking for
a royal progress where the King asked if we could serve venison.  It was
served at the feast, but I had absolutely nothing to do with it, but it
was still part of "my" feast, so I still feel as if I had served the
venison.

So, yes I can realistically see serving foods that I wouldn't eat, and I
would expect many others would also.  I have a close friend who is a
vegetarian, but she has feastocratted events, with omnivorous feasts.  She
wouldn't think of serving a vegetarian feast simply because she was one,
and she serves excellent feasts.  One of the ironies of life is that one
of her best dishes is a marinated steak... which she has never eaten.

Kael