SC - Re: sca-cooks V1 #325

Sue Wensel swensel at brandegee.lm.com
Fri Oct 3 12:31:27 PDT 1997

> From:           Aldyth at aol.com
> Date sent:      Fri, 3 Oct 1997 13:24:10 -0400 (EDT)

> <<  For those who have any interest, in my sig line I've removed the
>  > HL and have added the welsh word Cyfurdd (pronounced cuh'-voorth) that
>  > has the meaning of peer.
>  >
>  > Thanks again for the well wishes!
>  >
>  > Phyllis L. Spurr
>  > Eowyn ferch Rhys Cyfurdd
>  > Barony of Elfsea, Ansteorra
>
>  Where did you find that?  I have found Mistress (Athrawes ((teacher or
> governess)), Peer (Gogyfurdd((equal in height or stature), Cydradd ((equal ))
> as the only Welsh equivalents.  Being welsh, and a peer, it would be fun to
> have something other than Mistress Mom, or the Mothership, which gets
> inflicted on me now and again.  From the Collins Spurrell Welsh English
> Dictionary.
>
> Aldyth

I have a book at home that references Cyfurdd as a word meaning Peer.
I write from my work account, so I will bring that book in on Monday
and post the information.

I also was informed that cyfurdd was a word that could be used
instead of mistress by Mistress Gunnora.  She referenced the
following address:

http://www.sca.org/heraldry/loar/1994/07/titles.html#table3

as I do not have internet access, I've not been able to access this
information.

I've also been told that Meistres is also an acceptable form of
address.  The referenced book also mentions that the title comes
after the name.  I'm still trying to figure out if that means after
the full name or just the first name (i.e. Eowyn Cyfurdd ferch Rhys
or Eowyn ferch Rhys Gyfurdd [I think it is supposed to mutate.]).

Phyllis L. Spurr
Eowyn ferch Rhys Cyfurdd
Barony of Elfsea, Ansteorra