SC - Salmon at feasts

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Oct 6 18:43:02 PDT 1997

                       mushrooms?                                  10/6/97

<snip>
> caps and roast in the oven until brown. Yum- would love for these to be at
> least period-esque
> -brid
It would be nice, but I haven't seen any evidence that stuffed mushroomswere
eaten anywhere in period. No recipes, no literary references.
Nuthin'.
<snip>
It does seem as if most mushroom dishes in period tend to be eitherparboiled
before the main cooking process, or cooked in liquid. Onepossible explanation,
since these dishes are probably not being madewith the cultivated mushrooms we
know today, that there is a certaintrace level of toxicity to be addressed. I
do <snip>

Okay- I'll stick with the mushroom pasties then.  Yes, I agree that the
parboiling might have been to deal with toxicity, my mushroom books also refer
to a few mushrooms that are safe *after* being cooked thoroughly.  It might
also be for re-hydrating purposes- as the easiest way to keep mushrooms
reliably for any length of time is to dry them.
- -brid