SC - Salmon at feasts

Aine of Wyvernwood sybella at gte.net
Mon Oct 6 21:20:29 PDT 1997

<< I suppose what I am asking is - how much do we "worry" about things
 like this?  I've no problem with not eating salmon (more for me), but
 should our feasts also take into account mundane issues like this?

Since real endangered animals are not huntible I would say this is a rather
moot point. Salmon fisheries are endangered but that does not mean the fish
are. Here in the East most of our salmon is farm raised for the most part.
The same goes for other creatures like buffalo, emu, ostrich, boar and some
types of deer species.

If someone feels strongly about a certain area of animal farming and/or
harvest such as veal production or squab raising, I would suggest they don't
attend the feast in question or avoid that dish. I certainly won't stop
serving it. Food is food and entirely a personal matter. As an individual
issue it may be important to that person but just because someone else feels
veal farming is wrong is not in anyway an influence on whether I serve it at
a feast.

IMHO, the folks that jump on the "let's not ever offend anyone bandwagon" are
a bazaare lot at best. Why, there are individuals that offend me by their
presence yet I would never expect them to disappear. The WASP attitude may
have it's place in Mundania but despite viewpoints to the contrary the SCA is
not the forum for these politically motivated thoughtforms. :-)

Ras (whose philosophy is eat it before it eat's you. :-))