SC - re: sc - newcomers redaction

kat kat at kagan.com
Tue Oct 7 12:21:24 PDT 1997

There was quite a vogue for this orange/onion salad in the Bon Appetit
and Gourmet type cookery magazines about 5 years ago.  Nice and
colorful; I think I've got about 3 different color articles in my files,
including one, I think, made with blood oranges (the very dark red ones,
Spanish, I think).  I started out thinking "period ingredients, they
coulda'"; but am getting beyond that stage...  I think there may have
been a version labeled as some kind of North African, Moroccan?, too.
(I'm trying to reduce two (computer paper) boxes of clippings at the
moment, 8-))

Chimene
 ----------
| From: Philip & Susan Troy
| To: sca-cooks at Ansteorra.ORG
| Subject: Re: SC - Re:Onions/orange
| Date: Sunday, October 05, 1997 6:40PM
|
| Robert Beaulieu wrote:
| >
| > -In a feast some years ago I came across a wonderful dish
(side-dish)
| > that was made of a slice of an orange and a slice of an onion with
some
| > kind of marinade (was likely made of vinegar), does anyone can help
in
| > finding the recipe?
| >
| >         -Also where (on-line) can I find a selection of period
recipes?

| >         thanks all...
| >
| >                 Lord Robert De QuelQuepart
|
| The only written recipe for an orange-and-onion salad I have ever seen
| was in a cookbook by James Beard. I believe it is of vaguely Spanish
| origin, but I have no reason to believe it comes from a period source.
|
| Without having Beard's recipe in front of me, I'd say about six
seedless
| oranges, peeled with a knife into "supremes" or skinless segments, and
| one large red onion, sliced thinly into fans, tossed in a vinaigrette
of
| 1 1/2 Tbs good red wine vinegar, 4 1/2 Tbs extra-virgin olive or
| hazelnut oil, with 1/4 tsp. each of salt and fresh black pepper, and
| topped with 2 Tbs finely chopped fresh flat parsley, should do the
| trick. Toasted alomonds are a nice addition, too.
|
| Adamantius
SCA-Cooks".