O.T. Re: SC - period suerkraut?

marilyn traber margali at 99main.com
Wed Oct 8 09:44:15 PDT 1997

> My lord and I were given a large bag of chestnuts straight from the
> tree this
> evening.  We have no idea what to do with them.  Any suggestions?  Are
> there
> any period recipes in which chestnuts are appropriate, and does anyone
> know
> how to roast them?
> Thanks in advance,
> Brangwayna Morgan

Take them, cut a small x over the odd patch where they were attatched to
the stem, pop them into boiling water for about 5 minutes or pot them
into a mesh fireplace popcorn popper over good hot coals for about 5
minutes, shaking frequently or spread them on a cookie sheet and bake at
450 for about 5 mintues. These will loosen the husk and when cooled
allow you to peel them.

Take the chestnut meats, place into honey and water, poach until soft,
then remove and puree, add spices and a dab of honey and fill small
pastrys or creme puffs with the goo.

If you take the meats, dunk in honey and do the honey roast/fry thing,
they are good rolled in coarsly chopped raw almonds as a taste and
texture contrast.

take the softened chestnuts and coat liberally with buttercream candy
mix[1bag 10x sugar, a flavor extract, enough melted butter to make a
stiff paste] and let the shell harden, they are called nipples of venus

margali

a diabetic who is now having a sugar craving, not a good thing!