SC - below the salt

Jessica Tiffin melesine at ilink.nis.za
Wed Oct 8 13:25:16 PDT 1997

Kathleen M Everitt wrote:

> I mentioned wanting to do an above the salt/below the salt feast a
> while
> back. Don't have a site for it yet, though. I'm working on menus, but
> until I get a site and know what the kitchen looks like, I can't
> finalize
> anything. If you have any specific questions, ask. If I can't answer
> them, someone will.

margali replied:

> How about a nice cassoulet d'isignie for the scum below the salt

and then sent a luscious recipe (drool).

Thank you both for your input!

I am busily scrambling to put together an acceptable menu for this feast.  I've been researching my buns off (no pun intended) and still have a long way to go.  Any helpful advice you (or anyone else) can toss my way would be most eagerly appreciated!

Though I have done feasts before, this is my first attempt to be really REALLY period; and to follow a theme that's not based on a country of origin.  In fact, I conceived of this idea because the last six White Shield feasts have been country-of-origin feasts:  Roman, Norseish, Italian, French, German, and Celtic.  Our other two local feasts have been along the same lines.  I wanted to do something ELSE...

My main concern is finding dishes for the Final (Grand Finale) Course.  I've got my housemate, a candy cook, making my subtlety; so I don't have to worry about THAT, thank the Goddess.  But what is a suitably scrumptious and spectacular entree... that can be done, FAIRLY easily, for 140?

(Yes, I'm hoping to fill them up with the starch-heavy pottage from the first remove, and the sauced roasts, etc. from the second remove.  This one's for show and tasting.)

Also:  What modern bread is *most* equivalent to the nice white payndemayne that the nobility (third-course) would eat?

I sincerely appreciate any thought that ANYONE could put into this...  I'm already starting to get sleepless nights, and the feast isn't till March...

	- kat