SC - Subtlety Quest

Jeanne Stapleton jstaplet at adm.law.du.edu
Wed Oct 8 15:46:45 PDT 1997

> >I'd be interested in other accounts of very small feasts, i.e. why they
> >were so small and how people handled that.
> >Adamantius

I've done a couple of small feasts - the first was 50, stretched to
over 70 the day of.  (Thank GOD for soup.)

The second was at the beginning of september, for 30, and taught me
why I prefer to cook large feasts.

I was over budget.  By a noticable margin.  The feast was delicios, but
the autocrat had volunteered a day board to all and breakfast the next
morning for those who stayed over without adding that into the site fee.
(This is now a MAJOR pet peeve of mine - a day board is all fine and good
but while bread is cheap, cheese is not - soup is cheap but fruit is not.
when you add in drinks and notice that usually twice as many people are
eating off the day board as are attending feast, it ends up costing almost
as much.)

In the end, the feast alone was at the budget for the feast alone.  The
day-board killed the budget.  And I made a personal promise NEVER to do
a feast for an autocrat who set's prices without consulting me again and
including money in the SITE fee (just a $1 per person or so) to cover the
sideboard.

I did, however, get the ultimate compliment at that feast.  Her (then
highness, now majesty) of AEthelmearc told me that this was one of the rare
occassions when she walked away from a feast full and enjoyed every bite of
it!  What else can one want?

(And for those who heard me talking about this feast and my plans to go
shopping mid-day and then cook dinner, it worked really well.  It was one of
the positives of a small feast, as I wasn't juggling oven space and such.
It may sound crazy, but dinner was on time and perfectly cooked!)
Ruadh
- --