SC - cc:Mail Link to SMTP Undeliverable Message

Postmaster postmaster_at_okstate at okway.okstate.edu
Wed Oct 8 21:37:27 PDT 1997

On Wed, 8 Oct 1997 13:20:04 -0700 kat <kat at kagan.com> writes:

>Thank you both for your input!
>
>I am busily scrambling to put together an acceptable menu for this
>feast.  I've been researching my buns off (no pun intended) and still
>have a long way to go.  Any helpful advice you (or anyone else) can
>toss my way would be most eagerly appreciated!
>
>Though I have done feasts before, this is my first attempt to be
>really REALLY period; and to follow a theme that's not based on a
>country of origin.  In fact, I conceived of this idea because the last
>six White Shield feasts have been country-of-origin feasts:  Roman,
>Norseish, Italian, French, German, and Celtic.  Our other two local
>feasts have been along the same lines.  I wanted to do something
>ELSE...
>
>My main concern is finding dishes for the Final (Grand Finale) Course.
> I've got my housemate, a candy cook, making my subtlety; so I don't
>have to worry about THAT, thank the Goddess.  But what is a suitably
>scrumptious and spectacular entree... that can be done, FAIRLY easily,
>for 140?
>
>(Yes, I'm hoping to fill them up with the starch-heavy pottage from
>the first remove, and the sauced roasts, etc. from the second remove.
>This one's for show and tasting.)
>
>Also:  What modern bread is *most* equivalent to the nice white
>payndemayne that the nobility (third-course) would eat?
>
>I sincerely appreciate any thought that ANYONE could put into this...
>I'm already starting to get sleepless nights, and the feast isn't till
>March...
>
>	- kat

One of the reasons I want to do an above/below the salt feast, is I'm a
fanatic about keeping prices for feasts down so families, college kids,
un- and under-employed can still come. The below the salt will be a
simple, filling three course feast with chicken, barley, and in season
fruits and veggies - stuff like that - to keep the cost down. On the
above the salt, I'm going to go crazy and add all the things that I can
never afford to do in regular events. I'm going to have fish - maybe even
several kinds. A fairly expensive meat pie. Better cuts of meat, roasted
rather than stewed! My husband is trying to talk me into lobster. I don't
know why. He doesn't even like it! And since the above feast will be much
smaller, I want to do individual portions of special dishes, fancy
desserts, subtleties between each course. Stuff like that.

My normal feast is cooked in a small kitchen with me and two staff
members. We cook good, simple food. Hot stuff hot and cold stuff cold.
Served on time. (Sometimes early.) Nothing fancy. That's why I'm so
excited about this event. It will give me the chance to do a lot of
things that I normally only get to do at local get-togethers and when I
take food to events. I've got a larger staff lined up and I'm going to
let some or them do the below the salt dishes so I can spend the entire
day doing fancy for a change! Unfortunately, I need a larger kitchen than
our normal sites have so that we won't step on each other. That's the
hold up.

That, and I have to cut down the list of interesting recipes I've been
putting together. I think 50 separate recipes is a bit much, even for
above the salt! :-)

Julleran