SC - candied fruit peel

Mark Harris mark_harris at risc.sps.mot.com
Thu Oct 9 00:48:31 PDT 1997

On Wed, 8 Oct 1997, Ron and Laurene Wells wrote:

> Well, first of all, could someone PLEASE tell me what the definition of the
> word "Redaction" is?  Most people accuse me of using "big words" and say

To start off I'll quote the Merrinam-Webster
(http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary):

: Main Entry: re·dac·tion
: Pronunciation: -'dak-sh&n
: Function: noun
: Etymology: French rédaction, from Late Latin redaction-, redactio act of
: reducing, compressing, from Latin
: redigere to bring back, reduce, from re-, red- re- + agere to lead --
: more at AGENT
: Date: 1785
: 1 : an act or instance of redacting something
: 2 : a work that has been redacted : EDITION, VERSION
: - re·dac·tion·al /-shn&l, -sh&-n&l/ adjective

AFAIK we are using redaction to mean the translation into a "modern"
recipie, with modern names for ingredients, cooking times, temps. and
quantities. Please note that it is not a case of converting it (replacing
ingredients, changing it around to fit modern tastes), but just explaining
it so that it is (more) readilly comprehensible for a modern cook.

/UlfR

- --
Par Leijonhufvud                  par.leijonhufvud at labtek.ki.se
"I think, therefore I parse regular expressions."