SC - below the salt

Dottie Elliott macdj at onr.com
Thu Oct 9 08:54:01 PDT 1997

Berengaria wrote:
  Anyway, I happen to love spicy foods.  I also happen to be a bonafide
  sodium chloridaholic, which means I don't "get" people complaining
  about salty chicken broth and too-salty onion dip (love the stuff).
  I adjust for others' tastes as best I can, go very light on the salt,
  but I refuse to cook bland food when I have other choices.

I agree completely about the bland foods.

In general, however, food tastes the same whether you salt it at the table,
or during the cooking.  (Unless the salt is part of the cooking process you
are using, like brine or koshering, or whatever).

I would recommend, therefore, that you cook almost exclusively without salt,
and let those that use it put some in at the table.  There are exceptions,
of course: like oatmeal or cream of wheat that requires some salt in the
cooking, or spinach.  But, even then, with a light hand.

To give you an idea: my wife and I are both very pro-flavor cooks.  We have
been using the same box of salt for about 5 years.  Now, try to take away
our garlic.... (:-)

My blood pressure is fine, thanks.  But I know plenty of people on diuretics
in an attempt to reduce their BP.  Excess salt for them is just begging to
give them problems.

	Tibor