SC - Introducing myself

Maddie Teller-Kook meadhbh at io.com
Fri Oct 10 04:25:13 PDT 1997

Mark Harris wrote:

> When I saw the first message about rose hip recipes it didn't
> occur to me that rose hips might be different from rose petals.
>
> Are rose hips different from rose petals? Are they the same thing
> but different names for different stages of the flower?
>
> Thanks.
>   Stefan li Rous
>   markh at risc.sps.mot.com

I'm sure others can and will answer this more succinctly, but here's
stab at it:

Rose hips are the fruit of the rose plant. If you watch an apple tree
bloom, and watch the blooms wither away and then all you have left is
the stump of the bloom, which then grows into an apple. In the same way,
rose hips are the sour fruit of the rose, which, by the way, are closely
related to apples, hence the imagery.

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com