Wild rice (was: SC - Newcomers Redaction)

Phyllis Spurr PSPURR at r03.tdh.state.tx.us
Fri Oct 10 07:56:07 PDT 1997

> To make a Tart of Ryce.
>
> Boyle your Rice, and put in the yolkes of two or three Egges into the
> Rice, and when it is boyled, put it into a dish, and season it with
> Suger, Cinamon, and Ginger, nad butter, and the iuyce of two or three
> Orenges, and set it on the fire againe.
>

> Dawson, Thomas, The Good Huswife's Iewel, 2 parts. London, 1596/7.
>
> The English Experience, Number 865, Walter J. Johnson, Inc. Theatrum
> Orbis Terrarum, Ltd. Amsterdam 1977 Norwood, N.J.

My redaction (also my first redaction of food):

To make a Tart of Ryce:

Ingredients:
    1 cup of wild (brown) rice
    2 cups of water
    3 small eggs
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/2 t. Cinnamon
    1/4 t. Ginger
    Juice of 2 small oranges (1/3 c. juice)
    1/4 c. Butter

Place rice in water and bring to a boil.  In a bowl beat
three eggs.  Beat some of the hot liquid from the rice into the eggs.
Immediately add the eggs to the rice and stir.  Stir in the sugar,
cinnamon, and ginger.  Continue to cook the rice until done.
Stir in the butter.  Turn the rice into a cassarole dish with a lid.
Pour the juice of 2 small oranges over the rice.  Cover and continue
to cook over a very low flame on the stove top until the juice has
been absorbed (8 minutes approximately).  Serve while still hot.
Serves six.

OK you experts, how'd we all do?

Phyllis L. Spurr
Eowyn ferch Rhys Cyfurdd