Wild rice (was: SC - Newcomers Redaction)

Par Leijonhufvud parlei at ki.se
Fri Oct 10 06:17:15 PDT 1997

Greetings Eowyn!

Phyllis Spurr wrote:

> > To make a Tart of Ryce.
> >
> > Boyle your Rice, and put in the yolkes of two or three Egges into the
> > Rice, and when it is boyled, put it into a dish, and season it with
> > Suger, Cinamon, and Ginger, nad butter, and the iuyce of two or three
> > Orenges, and set it on the fire againe.
> >

> > Dawson, Thomas, The Good Huswife's Iewel, 2 parts. London, 1596/7.
> >
> > The English Experience, Number 865, Walter J. Johnson, Inc. Theatrum
> > Orbis Terrarum, Ltd. Amsterdam 1977 Norwood, N.J.
>
> My redaction (also my first redaction of food):
>
> To make a Tart of Ryce:
>
> Ingredients:
>     1 cup of wild (brown) rice
>     2 cups of water
>     3 small eggs
>     1/2 cup sugar
>     1/2 t. Cinnamon
>     1/4 t. Ginger
>     Juice of 2 small oranges (1/3 c. juice)
>     1/4 c. Butter
>
> Place rice in water and bring to a boil.  In a bowl beat
> three eggs.  Beat some of the hot liquid from the rice into the eggs.
> Immediately add the eggs to the rice and stir.  Stir in the sugar,
> cinnamon, and ginger.  Continue to cook the rice until done.
> Stir in the butter.  Turn the rice into a cassarole dish with a lid.
> Pour the juice of 2 small oranges over the rice.  Cover and continue
> to cook over a very low flame on the stove top until the juice has
> been absorbed (8 minutes approximately).  Serve while still hot.
> Serves six.
>
> OK you experts, how'd we all do?

Ok.... I noticed you mentioned wild (brown) rice. IF you are talking
about the dark brown 'wild rice' that is so often used with 'rock
cornish hens'... that is a new world food (bummer--- i love the stuff).
I would recommend using either regular brown rice or Arborio rice (from
Italy... short grain, used for rissoto.... need to check on its period
status).

GOOD CATCH! You tempered the eggs!!! I forgot that once, and had
scrambled eggs and rice! The recipe looks good.  Plan to do it for an
event sometime!!!

See ya!

Meadhbh