SC - Polished Rice

Par Leijonhufvud parlei at ki.se
Fri Oct 10 06:52:36 PDT 1997

> From KatieMorag at worldnet.att.net Wed Oct  8 21:34:26 1997
> To: "SCA Cooks' List" <sca-cooks at Ansteorra.ORG>
> From: James and/or Nancy Gilly <KatieMorag at worldnet.att.net>
> Subject: SC - Medieval kosher cookery
> Date: Thu, 9 Oct 1997 02:26:37 +0000
> Sender: owner-sca-cooks at Ansteorra.ORG
>
> I received the following recently on one of my other mailing lists.  Any
> body have any info which I can pass along?
>
> Slainte -
>

> Alasdair mac Iain
>

> >Greetings:
> >
> >I have a question regarding medieval kosher meals. Specifically looking at
> >England around 1288-1290. Are there any written records of recipes? Would the
> >kosher diet have been influenced by German/European methods? Yiddish was
> >spoken and so I have to conclude some Germanic recipes were used as well. I
> >just wonder how close the kosher recipes I grew up with are to that which
> >might have been used in England--with variations due to availability, of
> >course--in the middle ages.
> >
> >Thanks for any info you might like to share.
> >
> >Regards,
> >Jeri Westerson

I don't know of English Jewish culinary custom but I read on the East Kingdom
list a few months back on how detailed the records were on people suspected
of being Jewish during the Spanish Inquisition. Evidently there were quite a
few recipes and cooking preperations.

It was a facinating article and I wish I still had the copy.

I know it's not what you are looking for but it is of interest and could be a
start.

Maybe one of the members on here who are also on the East list saved it.

Yers,

Gunthar