SC - below the salt

Aine of Wyvernwood sybella at gte.net
Fri Oct 10 13:08:10 PDT 1997

Woeller D wrote:

> Bonjour;
> Another note about favas- you can buy them already prepared in most
> Arabic food stores (often listed as 'Halal Meat' stores)(in VA, at
> least), from about $.75 per 15 oz can, and up. I like the 20 oz can,
> brand 'Sahadi' that I buy for $1.29 (Yes, they are packed for the
> Brooklyn Sahadi Company)

Ah, good ol' Atlantic Avenue...almost as essential as Chinatown, but
with a tad more elbow room.

> Also, I remember reading someone lamenting the cost of saffron, and I
> have found it reasonable in Arabic stores, but even cheaper in Latino
> and oriental import stores. In some cases, outrageosly cheap- about $3
>
> for a generous handful-size bag.
> Hope the info is helpful. Bon Chance
> Angelique

Some of that Latino saffron is, in fact, azafran, which is Mexican
saffron, a.k.a. osfor or safflower, and not saffron at all, although it
is used in more or less the same way. I think I still have some of the
pound I bought from Sahadi for $8, many years ago. I should probably
throw it away. $3 or thereabouts should be able to get you a gram or so
of real saffron, though, usually in a little test tube or a plastic box,
in a decent store catering to Middle Eastern, Spanish, and Indian cooks.

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com