SC - below the salt

Ladypeyton@aol.com Ladypeyton at aol.com
Fri Oct 10 16:08:54 PDT 1997

Woeller D wrote:

> > Some of that Latino saffron is, in fact, azafran, which is Mexican
> > saffron, a.k.a. osfor or safflower,

> Package says 'pure spanish saffron', comes in threads,looks like, tastes
> like... could it still be safflower?

I suppose it could, but it seems unlikely. I only said that SOME Latino
products, appearing to be saffron, are in fact saffron, and some are
safflower.

Saffron, BTW, doesn't seem to be nearly as widely used in Latin America
as in Spain. Safflower and achiote seem actually to be preferred, to the
point where certain yellow rice dishes from places like Santo Domingo,
or Cuba, actually seem not to taste right when they ARE made with
saffron.

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com