SC - Re: Illusion food

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Oct 13 05:49:55 PDT 1997

Michael P Newton wrote:

> umm... Ras
> I have heard of galengal and grains of paradise [and I think I finally
> found a shop that carries some!]but what is cubebs?
> {and there are several emu/ostrich farms down here in SW MO, hmmmmm . .
> .}
> Lady Beatrix of Tanet

Cubebs are yet another black pepper relative, looking vaguely like an
allspice berry, but tasting rather like pepper with a strange numbing
effect on the tongue. Not too different from Szechuan or Sansho or
Fagara peppercorns (which are also not peppercorns, either...), and
these are pretty good substitutes if you can't find cubebs.

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com