SC - Beer-dregs

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Oct 13 09:06:09 PDT 1997

>Greetings,

>	I do not write the list much, but recently I have had a few questions
>some of you may be able to answer-or tell me where to find the answer.
>What were the uses of specific herbs (as many as possible) in the Middle
>Ages & Ren?  Also, what are the actual uses that we know of today-for
>some herbs- medicinal ?

This is a huge task, and one I am researching as we speak.  I am in the
process of collecting recipes and analyzing what herbs tended to be used
together in cooking and what types of dishes they were used in
(meat/vegetable, pie/roast/soup. etc.)  I'll take someone's (meadbh's ??)
suggestion and list five with multiple uses:

Ceylon cinnamon -- cooking (especially with meat)
Sandalwood (saunders) -- red saunders -- food coloring; scenting homes and
		people; decorative woodwork (fans, boxes)
					-- white 	-- not used much in food; used for scenting
		homes and people, decorative woodwork (fans, boxes)
Pepper -- cooking, meats, vegetables and fruits
Chamomile (and most flowers) -- cooking (mostly teas and salats); cosmetics (
lotion, baths)
Saffron -- cooking (especially with cheeses and vegetables, but also as food
coloring); cloth dyeing

A word of caution:  If you plan to use herbs in anyway, please get a good
modern herbal like John Lust's _The Herb Book_ before you begin.  Many of the
herbs used in period really aren't safe for ingestion.

Regarding the modern medicinal use of herbs (this is what you seem to be
looking for), let's not go there.  Right now the legal terrain for this is
very treacherous.

>				Lady Fiona Gwen O'Brannigan Of Northkeep
>				mka-(Angela Conn)
>fianna at geocities.com

If you want more information, please let me know.  Given some time, I can come
up with much more information for you.

Derdriu
Guildmistress of the Herbalist Guild in the Barony Marche of the Debatable
Lands, Aethelmearc