SC - Re: Truffles, etc.

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Oct 13 09:17:34 PDT 1997

>As for the gentle who is squeamish about making copies for a class.....
>it is perfectly legal to make a copy to distrubute - as long as one does not
>intend to profit from it.  If your that squeamish, then basically all one has
>do is to sit down and write a short letter to the publisher requesting fornal
>permission to make copies for your class.  I have never been turned down yet.

Gaining the permission of the copyright holder to make copies is the
legal and proper method to make copies.  Copying without permission is
illegal.  Lawsuits have been filed over illegal copying to produce class
handouts.  While the lawsuits have been made against educational
institutions and instructors, the law applies to everyone.

>then again, if the book one is copying from is out of print, the whole
>ballgame
>changes.  and the law allows you many freedoms....otherwise denied in the
>original copyright law.

Just being out of print is not the criteria.  If the work is out of
print and is not likely to be reprinted, there is a case for making a
copy for personal use.  If the work is out of print while the copyright
holder is seeking a publisher or negotiating a contract, copying is a
thornier issue.  In either case, while the copyright is in effect, it is
illegal to make a copy without permission.  The extent of the illegality
will be determined when and if the copyright holder hauls you into
court.

>hugs....aine who likes xerox machines.

Realistically, no one is going to come after you for making a copy for
your personal use.  They probably will not come after you for
distributing copies as class handouts unless you work for a university.
There's not enough money in it to make it worthwhile.  So, love your
xerox machine and have at it.

BTW, I'm not squeamish, I just happen to think the two most worthless
wails around are "i didn't know it was loaded," and "I didn't know it
was illegal."  I'm very cautious about copyright because of the number
of times I have been asked to violate copyrights and licensing
agreements over the past twenty-four years.

Bear